Friday, January 30, 2009

BBC reports on underage drinking in Europe

Here are more BBC reports about youth alcohol abuse in Europe:

Vodka, homework, and me is a documentary that follows an 11 year old and a 15 year old as they tried to give up drinking. According to the story, Britain has the fourth highest levels of underage drinking in Europe. In the North West area of England, 90% of 15-16 year olds drink alcohol.

Are Europe's teenagers drinking explores attitudes toward underage drinking across Europe.

Call to raise drinking age to 21 is just about that . . . a debate in the UK about their legal drinking age.

Fears over rise in child drinking discusses how excessive drinking by young people has resulted in a 20% rise in hospital admissions in England over the past five years.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Inga - how interesting to think of our struggles with underage drinking in America as compared to those in the U.K. - so glad to see this post and the questions it raises. My first curiosity was around the drinking age in the U.K. which is apparently 18 as compared to our 21. This makes the comparison of our data where possible even more intriguing, especially the conversation around those youth on the cusp of the legal drinking age. This Prevention Blog is new to me but it appears you have been blogging for some time! I didn't see a contact button (unless I missed it) so I hope you don't mind my cross-posting your story from the U.K. on the blog I host, Technology in Prevention". I also keep a blogroll of coalitions and providers blogs and have added this blog to the roll. I'm really looking forward to following your postings and cross-posting with you from time to time. :o)