The info-graphic below (available here) provides an overview of the binge drinking problem among girls and women.
What can we do to prevent binge drinking?
The Guide to Community Preventive Services recommends evidence-based strategies for preventing excessive alcohol consumption, including—
- Increasing alcohol taxes.
- Reducing alcohol outlet density (the number and concentration of alcohol retailers in an area).
- Maintaining existing government controls over alcohol sales (avoiding privatization).
- Holding alcohol retailers liable for injuries or damage following illegal service to intoxicated or underage customers (dram shop liability).
- Maintaining or reducing the days and hours of alcohol sales.
- Enhanced enforcement of laws prohibiting sales to minors.
- Electronic screening and counseling for excessive alcohol use.