The Washington State Liquor Control Board is hosting public hearings about their proposed rules for a commercial marijuana marketplace in our state. Tonight they will be at Seattle Center from 6-9:00 p.m.. These hearings are open to the public and provide citizens with a chance to make comments about the proposed rules.
Prior to the release of the proposed rules, the Prevention WINS coalition submitted comments to the Liquor Control Board about youth substance abuse prevention-related policies that could help with preventing underage marijuana use. They included:
1. Limit marijuana retail outlet density.
2. Limit hours of marijuana sales.
3. Ban marijuana advertising.
4. Ban Internet and mail order sales and home delivery of marijuana.
5. Ban products attractive to youth.
6. Establish a Responsible Vendor Program.
While the Board did strengthen language about restrictions on advertising and reduced the hours of sale, most of the coalition's recommendations were not included in the proposed rules.