HYS results also continue to show that youth who drink overwhelmingly get alcohol through social means, not by purchasing it. Studies show that the same is true for marijuana.
Among NE Seattle teenagers who drink:
- 48% got alcohol from friends;
- 21% got alcohol at a party;
- 21% took alcohol from home without parental permission;
- 14% got alcohol from an older sibling;
- 11% bought alcohol from a store;
- 11% got alcohol at home with parental permission;
- 10% gave money to someone to buy alcohol for them;
- 8% got alcohol at a family event;
- 7% got alcohol some other way.